Sunday, September 07, 2008

My Dad

Recent events have threatened to turn me into a no show on the blogosphere again, so I thought I'd give a little update, just in case I do disappear for a while.

My dad was rushed to the hospital Friday night. My youngest sister was with him and noticed that he was behaving oddly. She decided it wouldn't be good for him to drive so she drove him home. When they arrived, he was unresponsive, so she ran to get help. Somewhere in the course of things he stopped breathing, but a quick thinking office staff at his apartment complex found a maintenance man who knew CPR and they were able to revive him and keep him breathing until the ambulance arrived. When he got to the emergency room, they did a CAT Scan and told us it was likely he'd had a stroke. A few days and an MRI later, the Dr. said that he did indeed have a stroke, and it wasn't his first. They found evidence of many previous strokes located in the memory and balance centers of his brain, which would explain a lot of his behavior recently. He seems to be stable right now, but the doctors are still trying to figure out where the blood clots are located that keep causing the strokes so that they can decide how to proceed. My sisters and I have been scrambling trying to get information and figure out what to do after this.

6 comments:

Jenny said...

Oh Bonnie, I'm so sorry. I'm praying for you and your dad. I'm sending lazer beams of love and hope to you this very moment.

Party of Two said...

Prayers coming to the Cary family. I am sure there are a range of emotions from one side of the spectrum to the other. No worries, just know that others struggle with those same issues (we have the same Dad, i promise). XO

Lisa said...

I am sorry to hear about your dad. I hope that things will work out for him and the drs can find the blood clots. Good luck and my prayers are with you.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear about your father. Our prayers are with you and your family.
-The Masons

Anonymous said...

i know you don't know me, but i read your blog through rhi's. i will pray for you and your dad and family. it is soooo scary when your health goes crazy. i pray for comfort and that the doctors can find where those nasty clots are. tell your dad there are people who are praying for him and his peace and stablity.

Simply Sarah *K* said...

Bonnie! Im so sorry! My prayers are with you and your family. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you!!