Tuesday, September 09, 2008

My dad's sister arrived from California today to see him. Tyson and I went with the kids to pick her up from the airport. We headed over to the hospital, but on the way over, I received a call from Derek saying that the hospital was about to release my dad. The last thing that I'd heard was that they put a scope in his veins this morning to search for blood clots. Apparently they didn't find any, so they decided to release him.

I have a big problem with this, because hospital staff told us not to make any arrangements for his care because they had no idea what was wrong with him. Then they release him without giving us time to prepare anything. While I was talking to a member of the hospital staff, trying to argue against his release until we could talk with a doctor, Tyson was in the room talking to my dad. He didn't even know what year it is. He can't walk unassisted, and he can't even cut up his own food. I was told that my dad had already been released, so if we wanted him to stay longer, we would need to pay out of pocket up front. We wouldn't have known they were releasing him if Derek (my brother in law) hadn't called the hospital to learn the results of the tests they ran in the morning. What kind of hospital releases a stroke victim who can't take care of himself, without even notifying the family?

We took him to my sisters house for now, because he can't be by himself. We are trying to arrange to have someone with him all day, but he really needs more help than we can provide, and I don't know what we can get for him on his fixed income. He had another stroke almost as soon as we got home. I don't know what to do for him. This is the worst.

5 comments:

Shannon said...

oh my gosh! What hospital did you take him too?? that CAN'T be right bonnie! There is no way they can realease him, just b/c they don't know what is wrong! That is a hospital job!! And he had another stroke when you got him home?? That is almost malpractice right there! Something is way wrong, and I wish you all the best of luck and prayers that this gets worked out!

Party of Two said...

Why can't House be real?! That is ridiculous Bonnie, i don't see how they can do that! Isn't that part of some oath that Dr's have to take? I would have called 911 as soon as he had had another stroke, stoooopid hospital! xoxo

Spring Jones said...

Did your dad ever serve in the military? Even if it was reserves or guard you should be able to take hime to the VA hospital. It is a hassle and sometimes a lot of waiting while they do paperwork, but there are tons of programs that y'all could utilize and some that will even help with in home nurses and things if that is what y'all decide to do.The hospital should never had released him. I am so sorry that y'all are going through this. My prayers are with you.

Lisa said...

I am so sorry to hear about what is going on. It is so frustrating to deal with Drs and hospitals. I hope that you can find what you need to help your dad. You are in my prayers.

Lisa

Jenny said...

What the HECK! That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. How can they send him home if he's still having strokes??????