Friday, October 31, 2008

Halloween

I've been under the weather for a few days, but thankfully I was feeling better today, because I'd already asked off at work so that Tyson and I could take the kids to the pumpkin patch in Flower Mound. We were going to go last weekend, but both of the kids were sick. So this morning we packed a picnic lunch and headed off to see the pumpkins.After the kids had their fill of bounce houses and hayrides, we headed over near the farmhouse on the property, where they had a picnic area set up. The first table we picked was abandoned by us before we even unpacked the lunches when we realized that it was right near the horses and hence, their manure. We moved over to another area where we were immediately accosted by hordes of flies, bees, and yellow jackets. I tried to eat my lunch as quickly as possible and avoid swatting at the flying insects, as there were as many bees as flies buzzing around me, but when a bee landed on my finger and tried help me finish my half eaten sandwich, I gave up, flung my sandwich through the air, and quickly vacated the picnic grounds. I watched from afar as my family at the rest of their lunches, then we packed up and went home for some much needed naps.

BittyBit wanted to be a goose for Halloween this year. I thought it was going to be one of those things that she forgot about, but weeks later, she still wanted to be a goose. Unfortunately I couldn't find a goose costume in all of my Halloween costume hunting, so she got stuck being a pink monster. I might have been able to find a goose costume online, and I'm sure I could have made one if I'd had the time, but I haven't had time for much of anything since I've been back at work. LittleMan got to wear the monkey costume that his sister wore last year for Halloween.
Monster and...monster pirate?Tyson picked up our niece Brittany, and we suddenly had a rainbow princess in our party!Tyson and I weren't going to dress up but we stumbled upon an idea for a costume earlier today. This morning I found some of the kids' magnetic letters on the floor and I put one on BittyBit's forehead and told her to hold it in place and ask her father who she was supposed to be. He of course immediately answered correctly - Arnold J. Rimmer, a character from Red Dwarf, which is one of Tyson's all time favorite shows. This guys is supposed to be a hologram, and he has a holographic "H" on his forehead to represent that. The show is a low budget British sci-fi comedy, which I am not a big fan of, but Tyson realized that with very little preparation, we would have our costumes for the ward Fall Social. Tyson made the H's for our costumes while I tried unsuccessfully to take a nap, then we picked up the missionaries and took them to Costco for pizza before heading to the ward party. The most amazing thing about our costumes is that several people actually knew who we were supposed to be!Here's our little monkey man in his cage during the "trunk or treat" portion of the evening. By this point he was beyond tired, so I put him in the back of the car behind the cargo net and let him scream eerily at the trick or treaters. Very spooky special effects, and it didn't cost me a thing (well maybe another shred of my sanity).

3 comments:

Jenni said...

You totally crack me up and every time I read your blog I realize how much I miss it when you don't post regularly.

I'm glad that Halloween turned out all right for y'all.

Lynn said...

MonkeyMan looks just thrilled to be in that costume. BittyBit is a wonderfully scary MonsterPirate, and Miss B is going to be a heartbreaker in a few more years.

Jenny said...

I'm with Jenni!!! I feel like I haven't talked to you in ages...(maybe that's because I haven't :(

ABsolultely adorable costumes (and yes, STeven and I know Red Dwarf too, though I feel the same way you do about it). How funny that Ren wanted to be a goose!

I tell you, I was absolutely worn out by that Pumpkin Patch in flowermound. It was so awesome, but so BUSY!! I felt like my kids could run off at any moment (and they did).

Miss you lady! Now that we'll have a normal sized house, you have to come visit me. We're going back tomorrow!!! :(