Saturday, March 08, 2008

New teeth and photography lessons

LittleMan cut his second tooth three days ago. At this point, it would still be incredibly difficult to get a picture of the teeth, but when they have emerged a bit more, I am sure they will be more visible.

I am so smart
Most of the moms I know take tons of pictures of their families. Even those who started out barely able to find the shutter soon blossom into competent photographers. Many of these moms also choose to scrapbook to preserve these memories. One common problem we all face is that because we are usually the one behind the camera, we have thousands of photos and only appear in a handful of them ourselves.

Some days I am more than fine with this (especially the mornings that I can barely roll out of bed and don't want a picture to remind me that I didn't get any sleep and didn't bother fixing myself up), but occasionally I would like some proof that I was actually with the family on that last family vacation.

My solution? I taught BittyBit how to use my old Kodak digital camera. It has been gathering dust on my desk since I bought my Canon, so I figure that with proper supervision, she can learn how to use it and eventually might take some decent pictures. I see only positive things coming out of this. She finds the process of taking pictures highly entertaining. She likes taking multiple pictures, so one of them is bound to be my good side (unlike my husband, who will only take control of the camera when I beg, who usually takes one shot, then when I ask, "Did that picture turn out ok?" -glances at the camera and says,"Yeah"-when what he means is you were blinking and there was something in your teeth). She actually did a good job for her first time using it. More than half of the pictures were in focus and after the first few, I showed her how to center her subject in the viewfinder, so most of the photos contain the subject she was trying to photograph.

Of course, some of the pictures turned out like this...I guess her photography skills still need some work, but with a little practice, she'll be a professional in no time!

5 comments:

Lynn said...

This is fantastic! As someone who barely knew which end of the camera did what, one year ago, I testify that the learning curve for the basics, at least, is fast and fun. She's already taking better pictures than I did. You teach her to shoot, I'll teach her to knit, and she'll be knitblogging before she's baptized! Woohoo! World domination, one sock at a time!

Julie{isCocoandCocoa} said...

Cute pictures! She'll be giving me lessens on how to use a camera soon.
And feel free to post any pictures you want of me from last night. I have no shame.

Jenni said...

It's a good thing that kid is almost as smart as me, in addition to having my temperment!

Amber Joy said...

Yes! I recruited Colton as my personal photographer a while ago :) As a matter of fact, the photo of me on my blog comments is one Colton took. I'm like his favorite subject, so it's perfect :)

Thwarthwimple said...

you know, the first time I was ever at your house it was snowy outside...

These pictures reminded me of that!