Saturday, August 09, 2008

This is why I can't have nice things...

This morning I turned my back on LittleMan for about 5 seconds and he pulled my lamp off of the end table, causing it to crash to the floor and break. I love this lamp (and its intact partner).

Most of my furniture is hand me down, and I'm OK with that. I'm sure some day I will be able to decorate my house more how I want it and less in the "work with what *generic nice person* gave to me" style. I bought these lamps, and the gorgeous lampshades that go with them when a local store went out of business. I got them for dirt cheap, and they are probably my favorite (i.e - only) decorative but useful items in the house.

You might notice in the picture above that there is no lampshade on my broken lamp. I left Terrence and Tyson in charge of the kids about a month back so that I could do something useful and when I came back, LittleMan had gotten to the lampshade and begun to de-bead the fringe. He couldn't reach the lampshade by himself. *Someone* put him up on the couch within easy reach of the lampshades and let him play the "how close can he get to grabbing the beads without actually destroying them" game. I was miffed when my lampshades were damaged, so I removed the shades, in the hope of preventing future damage and possibly repairing them myself.Now I'm just resigned to the fact that I can't have nice things while I have small children.

8 comments:

Shannon said...

That sucks! And as a side note be very careful with those lightbulbs, someone told me the inside stuff is toxic?? i have no idea...but if it broke then i would check it out.

Rory said...

It sucks, but at least you still have the one lamp intact. And if you can find the pieces you might be able to repair the other and turn the repaired side to the wall. :) Just a thought at any rate.

Shell said...

Oh I feel your pain. Its the mommy of lil ones blues lol. Maybe you can just turn the broken part of the lamp to the wall or place it where it can't be seen. As for cords, in my house they are duct taped to the backs of furniture so my son can't pull on them.

Lynn said...

I can fix the lampshade. We've talked about that. We can probably patch the lamp, too. I have a bajillion colors of paint over here in case you can't find all the pieces.

I know your frustration. Years ago, you and your sisters were my little "destroying angels". And now all of you are grown up and sitting on the other side of the see-saw.

Hugs. And some virtual crazy-glue.

Simply Sarah *K* said...

No fun!!! I'm resigned to broken stuff too...ONE day, right?!

Jenni said...

i would like to tell you that it gets better as your kids get older but I still don't have nice things because of my child and husband.

Party of Two said...

I'm sorry! Between impending children and Jimmy, this is why i haven't bought anything nice, i'm too scared!

Anonymous said...

I'm a friend of Rhi's and I came over to look at your pics you did for her when I noticed this post.

There is mercury in those kind of bulbs, and they do have to be cleaned up a special way.

http://www.energystar.gov/ia/partners/promotions/change_light/downloads/Fact_Sheet_Mercury.pdf

you can read more at this link, you can also read more here:

http://www.mormonmommywars.com/?s=mercury&submit=Search