Thursday, May 15, 2008

Rude Telemarketers

I always try to be polite to people who call my house, even when they call me when I am home by myself trying to get both kids ready for bed. I really don't like it when the telemarketers call. I have been getting tons of solicitations recently and only realized last week that it is because my time on the National Do Not Call Registry had expired, so I had to put my numbers back on the list.

I think most sales people take a speed-talking course before they begin the job. As soon as I pick up the phone they begin their sales pitch, not even pausing to breathe, and I am left listening carefully for an opening to tell them, "No thanks". I make an effort to be polite, because I know that they are just doing their job, but as Dear Abby once said, in response to a whiney letter from a telemarketer (I am paraphrasing) - "People have no obligation to talk to sales people on the phone. Hanging up on a telemarketer is not terribly rude, as the call was unsolicited and the caller often doesn't give the person a chance to disconnect politely."

I spent close to a minute listening to the guy who was trying to sell me a termite treatment package. When he finally took a breath I said,"No thank you, I'm not interested." At which point he promptly hung up. No mumbled "thanks" or "bye". So I've decided I'm tired of being polite. I'm not interested in torturing the poor people who try to sell me something(like my brother in law enjoys doing), but I'm not going to feel obligated to listen to their sales pitch either.

I thought I'd list some of LittleMan's accomplishments
words: Ma-ma, da-da, (He said his sister's name once, but he has yet to say it again)
talents: clapping hands - he just learned this skill last week
crawling, pulling up on the furniture, and a little bit of "cruising" along the furniture
giving kisses - the big, slobbery, open mouth kisses that babies give, but he does it on command
moving around on his ride-on toy, Mater (he can do this by himself, but prefers to ride around with his big sister)

He is very happy and laughs a lot. I can tell he's going to have a great sense of humor and maybe even be a joker like his dad.
BittyBit and LittleMan riding Mater

4 comments:

Simply Sarah *K* said...

We decided to get caller ID awhile back...and have never regretted paying the extra! James even set up this thing thru the satellite where the caller ID box pops up on the TV screen. I hardly ever answer my phone, which alot of people can attest to!! And if I do happen to pick up on accident...if I hear that silence...I promptly hang up! I feel rude, but THEY are rude!!

Lynn said...

OK, that is officially my new wallpaper at work.

Jenni said...

I feel ike I am missing all of his growing up and this time I am even in the same state. I need to come over and hang out there one day soon so I can play with both kids.

Zepp Family said...

So, my husband LOVES it when telemarketers call. He literally sprints to the phone! He'll listen to their introductory for about 2 seconds and then he interrupts with, "I'm going poop right now." He says he loves the reaction he gets on the other end. It's a shock value thing, I guess? Apparently most of them say, "Oh, I'm sorry I'll call back sir." To which he'll respond, "No, I'll still be pooping, everyone in the house will be pooping." Now, not that I'd ever want my daughters to talk to anyone in that manner, but it is a good way to drop the call fast, without hanging up and get a laugh instead of a high stress level!

.....Just a suggestion, compliments of Jason!