Friday, June 26, 2009

Where the Wild Things Are

...My kids, I mean.

Last night I found out another thing that my kids can do to entertain themselves when they are supposed to be sleeping. The kids have been resisting bed time a bit lately. Usually they'll open the door a few times and ask for drinks, or tattle on each other for something. I try to just ignore them so that they'll go to bed and they usually do fairly quickly. Last night however I was 45 minutes post bedtime when I heard a mysterious thumping coming from the kids' room. My mommy alarm went off immediately and I went to go investigate.

I opened the door only to see a giant white cloud settling over the entire room, with LittleMan standing in the middle of it coughing, laughing, and shaking the bottle of baby powder. I wish I hadn't been too angry to think about grabbing the camera at that moment, but unfortunately I wasn't able to calm down enough to think about pictures until after I'd vacuumed and wiped down the entire room, stripped the kids bedding and gotten new sheets and pillow cases, and had hauled LittleMan into the bathroom to begin cleaning him.
BittyBit was laughing it up until she realized she was in trouble too, then she turned completely serious and said, "Hey, that's not fair, why am I in trouble? He's the one who made the mess." I explained that she was laughing and encouraging him instead of coming to get me, to which she replied, "I thought I was supposed to stay in my bed and not tattle". Augh!!!

LittleMan thought it was hilarious until I realized that I couldn't get the cornstarch baby powder out of his hair without several shampoos. He normally loves bath time, so mean mom that I am, I stripped him down to his diaper and leaned him backwards over the sink to wash his hair and body instead of letting him play in the tub more than an hour after he should have been asleep.

This morning I awoke to a fine film of baby powder all over the house, thanks to my central air conditioning unit. Sigh. A day later I can see the humor, at the time, not so much.

2 comments:

Jenni said...

Don't you hate it when your kids regurgitate the things you have said back at you and only at the most inconvenient times and places?

Too funny.

Julie{isCocoandCocoa} said...

Laughing in the bedroom, after bedtime, is never a good sign.