Thursday, May 28, 2009

Fireflies

I had our monthly Cub Scout pack meeting tonight. Usually I go by myself but tonight's activity was a picnic dinner at a nearby park, and everyone brought their families. I zipped home from work, packed a dinner in about 5 minutes and loaded everyone into the car. BittyBit spent most of the evening chasing LittleMan and trying to keep him from running off into the woods (she's such a good big sister!).After dinner the Scouts distributed Popsicles to everyone. BittyBit ate hers like she eats everything. Extremely slowly, which meant that most of it dripped down her hand and she was still eating it when we went off with the group to see the world's-most-something-or-other Bur Oak. I don't remember if it was the oldest or the tallest or thickest or whatever, but it was huge.
The kids also ran around catching fireflies. BittyBit had finished her Popsicle by this time but her hands were coated in sugary drips, so I told her not to catch the fireflies with her hands. She was a little disappointed but compliant. Instead she picked up a stick and gently eased it underneath the fireflies when they came close enough. She actually had several that landed on the stick and she was able to observe them closely.

3 comments:

Jenni said...

That's why I give her otter pops. The plastic catshes all the juice for us!

Julie{isCocoandCocoa} said...

I remember trying to catch fireflies. Did we do that at Girls Camp?

Bonnie said...

Hmm, I vaguely remember that Julie. I think it was at Girls Camp.